Cycling Australia (CA) is delighted to announce the appointment of former Victorian State Premier, the Hon Steve Bracks AC to the position of Chair.
Mr Bracks is one of three new additions to the CA Board. Also appointed were 1994 Commonwealth Games cyclist Steven Drake, and inaugural Chairman of the Amy Gillett Foundation, Duncan Murray, who will be Deputy Chair.
Mr Bracks takes over from Malcolm Speed AO, who stepped down in January after two and a half years at the helm.
Elected as Victoria’s Premier in 1999, he is recognised as one of the state’s most successful Premiers.
An avid cyclist who gets out on the bike whenever he can, Bracks has held numerous key roles since his retirement as Premier of Victoria, including that of Chair of the Organising Committee for the World Road Cycling Championships held in Victoria in 2010, a role that exposed him to the sport internationally and domestically.
“I’m very keen to mix my passion as a cyclist with my skills to assist and lead the organisation," Bracks said.
“Key for me in this role will be making sure that all of the peak cycling bodies are working well together and having unity of purpose in the future.
“CA has made some significant progress over the past couple of years but we always want to do better, and that relies on making sure the organisation continues to be effective, that it has long-term financial stability and a clear strategic direction for the sport across the nation. That’s what we’ll be trying to do.”
Cycling Australia CEO Nicholas Green OAM is thrilled to welcome Steve into the Cycling Australia family.
“I’m excited by the mix of leadership skills and cycling knowledge and experience that the new Board members bring and I'm looking forward to working with them," said Green.
“I also take this opportunity to thank outgoing Directors Malcolm Speed, Justin Quill and Kevin Russell for all their hard work and wish them all the best for the future.”
The Hon Steve Bracks AC
- Chair, Cbus Super
- Pro Bono Governance Advisor to the Prime Minister of Timor Leste
- Chair, Kardinia Park trust
- Chair, AFL SportsReady
- Board member of numerous financial organisations
- Former Managing Director at UBS Investment Bank
- Over 20 years of corporate advisory experience specialising in Mergers & Acquisitions and Capital Markets
- Australian Amateur Road Champion in 1993 and winner of 1993 Grafton to Inverell (NRS)
- Former VIS and AIS scholarship holder
- Represented Australia in the road race at the 1994 Commonwealth Games in Victoria, Canada
- Currently CEO, Cape York Partnership
- Former positions include Partner, Otway Partners & Otway Logistics; CEO, Belong Group and Legion Interactive; CEO, Platinum Media and Australian; CEO, EyeCorp; Merrill Lynch; Allens Arthur Robinson; and Chairman, Full Circle Holdings.
- Inaugural Chairman of the Amy Gillett Foundation
- Racing bicycles at club and state level for 20 years
Full Cycling Australia Board
- The Hon Steve Bracks AC (Chair)
- Duncan Murray (Deputy Chair)
- David Ansell
- Matthew Dever
- Steven Drake
- Linda Evans
- Leeanne Grantham
- Anthony Griffin
- Anne Gripper