The Ride Leader course prepares riders who find themselves leading the decision making in daily rides by offering a set of ground rules and approaches to dealing with everyday bunch situations.
Many cycling groups have set their own “bunch rules” and social norms which make for safe and considered bunch riding. The language verbal and non-verbal, is paramount to safety while riding as it informs every rider in the bunch and ensures the enjoyment of cycling in bunches.
The Ride Leader course will permit you to lead groups in low traffic conditions. The course is an assessment of your ability to organise and lead group recreational rides safely, and your ability to respond to the various situations which can arise on a group ride.
Recognising the shift of new individuals coming into the sport, the need to have consistent knowledge of bunch riding standards, ride planning, conduct and evaluation is a priority of Cycling Australia.
The remit of a Ride Leader is the ability to lead a group of up to 30 adults, 15 adolescents, or 10 children in planned, risk managed and documented low traffic riding environments.
Potential Ride Leader groups are:
● Cycling Clubs
● Community and Social groups
● Participation Event Organisers
● Bicycle User Groups (BUG)
● Cycle Tourism companies (charity rides, school holiday programs, adventure destination)
● Bicycle Retailers
To apply for the Ride Leaders Courses - please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Email expression of interest to : email@example.com
- Be at least 16 years of age.
- Be a financial member of Cycling Australia - Click Here to Join the Ride
- Current First Aid accreditation of HLTAID003 or equivalent - Click Here
- Hold a valid Working with Children Check (Blue Card) or a Blue Card Exemption (volunteer = free of charge) - Click Here
- Complete Community Coaching General Principles Online Course - Click Here
- Complete ASADA Anti Doping Online Course - Click Here
- Introductory Skill Instructor qualification
You are able to complete the Ride Leaders Course without completing the Introductory Skill Instructor Coaching Course however to be covered by Cycling Australia insurance as a Ride Leader you must complete the Introductory Skill Instructor Coaching Course.
For details of the Ride Leaders Course review the Course Details Overview.
For further information about the Ride Leaders Courses - please call Cycling Queensland on 3390 1477 or email firstname.lastname@example.org